To view an exhibit, click on the featured image or title.
Women have long been involved in the military during times of war, though not always in a capacity that we might recognize as “traditionally” military. This exhibit showcases items from across the Smithsonian and across the entire spectrum of women’s experiences in World War I.
See how Washington, DC and Smithsonian visitors have shared their trips with others by taking a historic look at the Smithsonian through the picture postcard. This exhibit also includes a general history of postcards and many image galleries featuring postcards from SIA’s collections.
The Century America project chronicles the local impact of the Great War. This exhibit is based on archival research and recounts some of the stories of the Fredericksburg State Normal School and the town of Fredericksburg, Virginia, between 1914 and 1919.
This exhibit covers a small selection of postcard production methods and techniques that were popular in the United States from the 1920s through the 1950s. It frequently focuses on Curt Teich & Co., a prominent postcard manufacturer during this period.
- Created NMAH’s Women in World War I online exhibit
- Surveyed NMAH and Smithsonian collections for objects
- Created and updated object records
- Researched women’s roles in WWI and wrote 18 exhibit sections, each including text, digital media, and academic resources
- Accessioned a collection of 21 textiles and related materials
- Assisted with digitization of archival materials related to the Colonial Dames Collection
- Women in World War I exhibit
- “How did animals (even slugs) serve in WWI?” blog post
- “Embroidery under fire” blog post
- “At home and ‘Over There’: Women in World War I object group” blog post
- Catalogued architectural drawings and A/V assets
- Assisted reference archivists with answering patron queries, pulling materials, and reference work
Created SIA’s Greetings from the Smithsonian: A Postcard History online postcard exhibit
- Searched SIA’s collections for postcards
- Digitized and cataloged postcards
- Researched and wrote short histories and informational pieces about postcards
- Created image galleries and webpages